Thanks to Safe Kids, for these wonderful tips
Top Safety Tips If you decorate a tree, avoid these top decorating mistakes:
Decorate with children in mind. Do not put ornaments that have small parts or metal hooks, or look like food or candy, on the lower branches where small children can reach them.
Trim protruding branches at or below a child’s eye level, and keep lights out of reach.
Natural trees always involve some risk of fire. To minimize the risk, get a fresh tree and keep it watered at all times. Do not put the tree within three feet of a fireplace, space heater, radiator or heat vent. Never leave a lit tree or other decorative lighting display unattended.
Inspect lights for exposed or frayed wires, loose connections and broken sockets. Do not overload extension cords or outlets and do not run an electrical cord under a rug. Do not burn tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper in a home fireplace. ?
Top tips to prevent poisoning this holiday season:
Keep alcohol, including baking extracts, out of reach and do not leave alcoholic drinks unattended.
Color additives used in fireplace fires are a toxic product and should be stored out of reach.
Artificial snow can be harmful if inhaled, so use it in a well-vented space.
Mistletoe berries, Holly Berry and Jerusalem Cherry can be poisonous. If they are used in decorating, make sure children and pets cannot reach it. In a poison emergency, call the national Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.