Tag Archives: button battery

Dangers of Button Batteries

An Oklahoma family suffered an awful tragedy last week when their 2 year old toddler swallowed a button battery and passed away a few days later. Button batteries are found in hearing aides, remote cButton Batteryontrols, greeting cards that play music, calculators, pen lights etc.

The child’s grandfather, says she hadn’t been feeling well for a couple days and was throwing up and had a fever. She was taken to a hospital after she began throwing up blood.

The best way to prevent any accident, is proper adult supervision and organization. Parents and caregivers need to be mindful of objects that can pose a threat to young children and make sure they are out of a childs reach.

A swallowed battery may cause no symptoms at all, but if it becomes stuck in the esophagus or stomach, the following symptoms may occur:

  • Stomach pain
  • Bloody stools
  • Cardiovascular collapse (shock)
  • Chest pain
  • Gastrointestinal inflammation
  • Hole in the esophagus
  • Nausea
  • Metallic taste
  • Vomiting (possibly bloody)

If you suspect your child swallowed a battery or another poisonous substance, it is best to call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. They will give you further instructions.